June 14, 2012

SOUL FOOD, MUSIC, HOT WINGS


I made this little watercolor over a stretch of two mornings while drinking coffee. One thing I like about the summer is the earlier sunrise time. I've discovered that whether or not the sun is up has a huge influence on my schedule. Right now, it's easy to motivate myself to get up early so I can paint and listen to the radio before work, but in the middle of winter? Forget it. In the summer I can go until 8:30 without eating dinner because the sun is still up, but in December, I want to eat at 4:30.

Anyway. This is Wild Bill's. A very small (but long) bar on the fringes of Midtown Memphis. It does several things well. Hamburgers, live music, and dancing. I used to go occasionally with a pack of friends during holiday breaks from college. The last time I was there, the cover was $10. Seemingly steep, but completely worth it. The band may be the same every week, but at least I knew they'd be good.

I've also been plugging away on some new ideas, works in progress, and other things. They'll appear here soon. I lost a roll of film to a technical snafu. The film advance wasn't catching the second time I loaded it, so the roll I was working on in New York will never be. I didn't feel the lack of tension while photographing until it was too late. I'm temped to develop the film, but I know what's there. 24 pictures of Kudzu, and one frame with the other 24 pictures that were supposed to expose over the entire roll. Oh well. I'll try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment