October 6, 2013

YUM

I like food.

And I like food tradition. So it was a given that I would love this photo series by Gabriele Galimberti. Delicatessen with love showcases Grandmas from around the world and their star, go-to, filled-to-the-brim-with love dishes.  My Grandma's special dishes are seasonal -- beer can chicken, garden tomatoes, and sweet corn from the fields in the Summer and chicken tortellini soup, potato salad, boiled shrimp, and cookies for breakfast in the Winter.

My mom has her own set of food traditions, and I collect recipes from friends too. Beloved ones include something only known as The Bread, and a knock-your-socks-off cheese grits recipe taught to me by a sorority sister at 4am, as we prepared breakfast for 17 confused and tired pledges.

I can only hope that when I am Grandma-age we aren't just eating 3D printed food in pill form with foam for dessert.

On a side note, our studio member exhibition last night was great. You can follow all the shenanigans of the 17th Street Studios in Knoxville here.

1 comment: