January 13, 2015

ANNIVERSARIES

My mom has always joking attributed part of my existence to the Illinois blizzards of the late 70s. After several years of this onslaught of snow, she thew in the towel (or hand warmer), headed south, and eventually met my dad at the copy desk of The Commercial Appeal. Today marks the 36th anniversary of one of those whopping storms. After seeing some pictures posted by The Chicago Tribune, I understand how completely attractive Memphis seemed in contrast. In a strange twist of fate, my mom is now a teacher and spends her winters wishing for snow days.

Woman in Oak Park by Anne Cusak for The Chicago Tribune

Face masks on Foster Ave. by Sally Good for The Chicago Tribune

After last winter, I'm fearing what this one might hold in store. I've never been much for snow that hangs around for more than 2-3 days. I don't know what to do with it, or how to cope with the fact that the inside of my nose has frozen solid and my feet never get warm, or that the crazies have cleaned the grocery stores clear out of toilet paper, batteries, milk, and peanut butter.

To see the rest of this photo series, click here. By the way, how cool is it that both these pictures were taken by women?


No comments:

Post a Comment