December 16, 2013

TITLES

Sometimes artwork just tumbles out of me, and other times making a painting is like trying to get a cow to walk down the stairs.  It either comes eventually, or I tell it, " Fine, stay up there and starve." And by that I mean, "Just sit in the corner of my studio until I decide what to do with you."

I say all of this because this particular work was not a cow. I finished it Sunday, and I just locked in and every decision I seemed to be making was a good one.

I usually listen to music or podcasts when I work. When I have a really good day, I can remember what I was listening to while making a particular piece. I think it would be funny if I titled paintings after what I was listening to when I made them. If that were always the case, the serene landscape hanging in my parent's living room would be called "Pump Up the Jams" and a nice Klimt-inspired portrait I did might be called "This is a Man's World / Sex Machine." But no one needs to know that much about what goes on during the process. 

However, I am going to make an exception for this one. I was listening to a great podcast about Lou Reed when this all came together, and calling this "Lou Reed" doesn't seem so disconnected from the image. So, "Lou Reed" it is.


And that "great podcast" I referenced above? It's Sound Opinions from WBEZ Chicago, and I can't say enough good things about it.  The enthusiasm and knowledge that Greg Kot and Jim DeRogatis have for music makes anything sound interesting. And they do holiday themed shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment